Women opt for shaving as an easy and quick method of hair removal. Shaving may give a smooth feel only temporarily as the hair grows back faster and is therefore termed as high maintenance method. The skin may become irritated because of the hair follicles underneath the skin itch badly.
What Causes Itchy Legs After Shaving?
The hair follicles’ growth continues which makes them itchy when shaved above the skin. The irritation may cause discomfort when chemicals are used on the skin before shaving as they make it dry. It is better to give some time for the razor burns to heal as they will usually take 2 to 3 days to get okay. The red bumps result from the inflammation ofhair pores in the skin. These hair pores are known as folliculitis which may get cropped while shaving which then causes itching and irritation.
A razor only cuts the hair close to the skin whereas part of hair is left underneath which will regrow. Razors may get twisted while shaving which then irritate the hair follicle resulting in razor burns. Some parts of the body are more sensitive than the rest of them and therefore they will prone to burns and cuts while razing.
Most areas are shaved and kept under clothing which often irritates the area by rubbing through it continuously.
How to Stop Itching After Shaving?
Use a Hydrocortisone Cream
Steroid creams are known for reducing inflammation, irritation, and itching and can be used only tropically. Vaginal use should be avoided so as to prevent it from entering into the body.
Apply a Warm Compress
A warm compress can heal the area and provide relief from itching. Adding salt water to the compress will further speed up the healing process.
Use a Natural Moisturizer
An all natural moisturizer can help with its anti bacterial properties when applied on the affected area. Aloe vera and witch hazel are both known for their cooling and healing properties .
Use Tea Bags for Anti-inflammation Properties
White tea bags contain tannic acid which helps with its anti inflammatory properties. These tea bags can be refrigerated to ads cooling effect when applied to skin.
Wear Loose Clothing
Loose clothing will allow air to heal the bumps and burns on the skin as they do not rub against the burns. Tight clothing can make the itching even worse which should be taken care of. Also, it is advised to wait for shaving until the burns get healed completely.
How to Prevent Itching after Shaving?
Razor burns and itching can be very painful and it is therefore better to adopt safe practice when shaving your legs, genitals, or bikini line.
The following steps can help you prevent further burns while shaving.
- It is better to trim the long hair with small scissors so as to avoid razor burns.
- Avoid shaving when the skin is dry as it will cause.more itchiness then. Always steam your body under hot water for at least two minutes so that the pores get open and it gets easier to shave.
- Use a new and fresh razor for genitals as the area is more sensitive to burns. Good branded razors will give better results than the ordinary ones as the shelf life differs.
- Use a hair conditioner on the area to be shaved before shaving.
- Shave in direction of the hair growth. Also, stretch your skin to prevent cuts and burns.
- Apply a cooling gel after shaving that will have anti allergic properties and will disallow infections from occurring.
It may take some time to get relief from itching, however, the remedies will prove to be helpful.