It is common to overeat and gain extra weight during holidays. The little break from work, fun family dinners, friends gatherings and festive treats all contribute to weight gain. It doesn’t matter how much effort someone puts to avoid food, the festive food is too appealing to miss. On the other side, an eating disorder is a major problem in the United States as it affects 10 million males and 20 million females. It is even common in 7 years old kids or in some cases, even younger kids.
Like depression, schizophrenia or bipolar disease eating disorder is also related to mental health with usually thought to develop due to lifestyle habits and food choices. There are some serious pathological factors involve in the individual behaviors that divert him to take part in self-destructive activities including eating disorder.
It is not just depending on individual choices but there are some other factors too that play a role to drive a person to eat more such as environment, genetic factors, social factors. the individual who is suffering from some personal relationships like past trauma, abuse, low self-esteem, co-occurring mental health disorder unhealthy family relationship and low social interaction can also lead to an eating disorder.
The persons who successfully following the prescriptions and treat their eating disorder may find stimulus during the holidays from the surrounding environment and company.
If you suspect that you may become addict to overeating or may following a prescribed diet to recover the eating disorder you can follow these steps to avoid the odd behavior and to spend your holidays in a comfortable zone. Their steps are defined by the DAWN DELGADO licensed therapist and eating disorder expert, the director of clinical development at the Center for Discovery.
1: Before going on holiday, consult your dietitian for a safe eating plan. Also, plan an escape if other individuals in your friend circle force you to eat.
2: Learn to say NO with confidence if your friend compels you to taste dessert or anything only because she or he made it. It is ok to say NO to them because they don’t know your effort that you are putting to recover your disorder.
3: Avoid the discussion and topics on social media or in friend circles that give you trigger. Fully understand your triggers so that you can apply the coping skills to manage the in a good sense. Honestly control your emotions and feelings in different scenarios without hurting anybody.
Following are some ways to help you to adopt a better way how to eat healthy by avoiding overeating. These tips are mindful eating tips. You can apply all the tips at one meal at the same time or apply one by one at different meals.
1. Eat at a slow pace by keeping in mind that you are aware of it.
2. Check your hunger level before stating your meal so that you can reduce your portion size.
3. Check your emotional state, either you are feeling sad or happy? Stressed or satisfied?
4. Asses you sense for the food that you want to eat at that time. Something cold or hot, sweet or spicy.
5. Properly check your time according to your diet plan or routine you are following.
6. Have a proper and complete plan to fulfill the nourishment of your body with all food groups having a suitable portion size. This is called mindfulness.
7. Avoid other activities while eating food. Eat your meal with full concentration ignoring the phone, TV and other devices.
8. Notify the reaction when you have the food either you like it or not? Does it give joy or happiness or not?
9. Note the food color, smell, texture, and taste.
It takes time to work on an eating pattern this is called mindful eating. Take your time, accept it wholeheartedly and be patient while following the diet.