The World Health Organization (WHO) has called for $675 million as a donation to help the latest coronavirus outbreak. The amount makes roughly 613 million in euros and would be invested in high-risk countries where this viral epidemic is currently infecting and killing people.
Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the WHO chief said in a press conference at Geneva that;
“Today we’re launching a strategic preparedness and response plan… We’re requesting $675 million to fund the plan for the next three months,”
He further shared that;
“Our message to the international community is invested today or pay later,” Tedros said, adding that the funding appeal was “much less than the bill we will have to pay if we do not invest in preparedness now”.
Tedros cleared that from this money, only $60 million funds are to be spent for operations under WHO. The remaining money would be sent to the countries that require support to fight against this deadly viral outbreak. He also told that the World Health Organization is sending approximately 500,000 face masks and 40,000 respirators to 24 different countries that are facing an uncontrollable viral transmission. All these supplies would be delivered from the warehouses situated in Dubai and Accra.
Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation has donated $100 million for this noble cause, Tedros informed. This amount would be mainly spent on coronavirus diagnostic tests, treatments and research to find a vaccine as soon as possible.
Many countries have called back their citizens from China, a recent addition to this list is Britain. On this matter, Tedros said that:
“That blanket approach may not help. We encourage all countries to make decisions based on evidence.”
He is hopeful that this donation would help the WHO and the local healthcare authorities to get rid of coronavirus as soon as possible.
Also read- A New Gear May Save You from Coronavirus
A large number of US citizens who were previously in Wuhan when the outbreak got worse have returned to the USA. US government arranged for two evacuation flights to rescue its citizens. However, the regular commercial flights from the US to Wuhan are temporarily suspended.
This is the second evacuation call for Americans in China. In this regard, previously one flight has landed in the USA last week, bringing US citizens back home, ensuring their safety from coronavirus outbreak.
The death toll from coronavirus is not slowing down. Even after the deaths have crossed 500, it doesn’t look like this virus is coming slow. The incidence of confirmed coronavirus cases has almost doubled in the last 11 days.
This number is now exceeding deaths caused by the SARS epidemic in 2002-2003 which killed 349 people in the mainland.
The recent figures posted at China’s Health Commission today reveal that 86 died on Saturday and nearly 4000 more people are infected with this virus. It makes nearly 35,000 people to be infected currently which require immediate medical care or else, the deaths from coronavirus would not stop.