This bizarre case in medical history came up to the local doctors at Tokyo, Japan where a 25 years old girl reportedly had a living insect in her tonsils. This woman, who is still anonymous complained a ‘sore throat’ that was persistent for five days after which she went to the hospital. The doctors were shocked to see a live, 1.5 inches long worm living in her body.
It is hard to believe that she was living with this worm in her body and all she felt was ‘sore throat symptoms’. However, the doctors were more concerned to know how did this insect ended up in her tonsils. This 25 years old young woman was diagnosed at St Luke’s International Hospital in Tokyo, initially with pain, itching, and irritation in throat for the last five days.
The doctors ran a quick blood test on her and the inspection of her condition gave them a weird image of a moving object in her tonsil. This black colored moving objected turned out to be a 15 inches long worm.
This rare medical case is now published in the American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene.
This worm was black in color and nearly 38 mm (1.5 inches) long and 1mm in width. When it was extracted out, it was shedding its outer cuticle covering. The reason how did this worm made it to her tonsils is still unidentified.
The pictures of this disgusting worm are all over the media. The doctors used medical-grade tweezers to extract it outside the tonsils. The woman immediately started feeling better after this procedure was completed.
The examination of this worm reveals that it was a larva at its fourth stage. This species was Pseudoterranova azarasi. This worm is a parasite that is dependent upon people to live. The common reasons for getting this worm inside the body could be associated with eating raw or uncooked meat i.e. fish. So those who eat raw sushi and sashimi are at potential risk.
The woman shared that she at assorted sashimi before these symptoms started to appear. Sashimi is a dish made of raw fish so it could be the reason that led this 15 inches long worm to grow inside her.
Although there is rare reporting of an oropharyngeal infection caused by this parasite. It typically causes another condition called “tingling throat syndrome” in which the patient experiences weird sensations down his throat. And in rare cases, it may also cause a persistent cough.
Worms that live inside humans typically reside in intestines where they eat all the nutrients from the food in the gut. It may take years to notice these parasites inside the gut as they take time to grow big in size. The common symptoms of gut parasites are; diarrhea, weight loss, loss of appetite, skin rashes, etc.
Reportedly, this woman wasn’t the only one who ate fish which led her to grow a 15 inches long worm inside her. There are many other cases from different parts of the world that are somehow linked with sushi and sashimi. But it doesn’t mean that people should stop eating them. Medical experts believe it is okay to eat the fish as it is only a rare chance that anything like this could come up again.